Photo: 13 September 2018
, 501 Sycamore Street SE
(Coal/Spruce/Sycamore), Albuquerque, New Mexico.
"Roosevelt Park opened during the middle of the Great Depression. It was
built with federal Civil Works Administration funding obtained through
Albuquerque Mayor Clyde Tingley's close friendship with President Franklin
Roosevelt. The park's name was changed from the original "Terrace Park"
soon after its opening to honor its popular benefactor. Designed by local
landscape architect and greenhouse operator C. Edmund "Bud" Hollied, the
park remains one of the Southwest's best examples of New Deal landscaping.
Hollied envisioned a sprawling, lush park in what was previously a sandy,
garbage-strewn arroyo. With the work of 275 CWA laborers, each paid $39 per
month, the park took form between the winter of 1933 and summer of 1934. It
cost $122,338 to transform the 13-acre site. Over 2,250 trees and bushes,
including umbrella catalpas and Tingley's beloved Siberian elms, were
planted. An abutment along the south side of the park was built with stone
from the demolished county jail at Rio Grande and Central. Its landmark
status protects all of these features, even including the elms. The general
layout and landscaping scheme of the park remain essentially unchanged over
the last 60 years."
"This large park was first called Terrace Park possibly because this flat
terrain was changed with the addition of dirt filled hills and terraces.
Two acres were made available to the City and the Albuquerque Public Schools
gave the City a long term lease on an additional eleven acres. Retaining
walls and a water system were constructed and nearby streets were improved.
Most of the work was paid for with Civil Works Administration (CWA)
funds. Two hundred sevent-five workers planted trees, shrubs and totally
changed the environment at a cost of $126,065. ... After its completion
800-1,000 school children being served by WPA's Federal Music Project put on
a Christmas program there."
Park, City of Albuquerque Historic Landmarks site, accessed 27 November
- Kathryn A. Flynn, Public Art and Architecture in New Mexico
1933-1943, Sunstone Press (2012), p.33.
- U.S. Statehood
Government, 1912-1945, Albuquerque Tricentennial website,
accessed 27 November 2018: "Albuquerque officials in 1933 secured CWA
funding to begin construction of Terrace Park (later Roosevelt
Park). Because federal money could only be used for labor, the city used
equipment as little as possible to maximize human labor. In the next two
years the work would keep 300 men busy. The park followed the natural
contours of the land. Stone retaining walls shaped arroyos."
- Suzanne Stamatov, There Was a Time
and it Was Tingley's, New Mexico History.org (Office of the State
Historian), accessed 23 November 2018.