, forming the entire block enclosed by Thompson
Street, Prince Street, Spring Street, and Sullivan Streen in Greenwich
Village, Manhattan, New York City. Originally called Thompson Street
Playground, it was later renamed in honor the Vesuvio Bakery on Prince
Street owned by Tony Dapolito, after whom the nearby recreation center
"PLAYGROUND at 99 THOMPSON STREET. 75 ft. x 95 ft. Located within the
block. Facilities: Recreation building, a wading pool in the center of the
play area, and the usual apparatus for small children including sand tables,
see-saws and slides. This is distinctly a playground for small children ...
The labor and materials for the construction of these additional playground
areas are being supplied thru Work Relief funds."
The original park only took up about half the block. It expanded into the
rest of the block in 1957. The park has been continuously redesigned and
repurposed over the years.
Playground - History, NYC Parks Department website (accessed 23 April 2018).
Parks Department Press Release, July 27, 1934.
Playground: A Haven for the South Village, Greenwich Village Society for
Historic Preservation (gvshp.org), accessed 23 April 2018.