Photo: 18 November 2018
The former Monte Vista Fire Station
(Fire Station No.3), 3201 Central
Avenue NE, Albuquerque.
"The Monte Vista Fire Station is located on Central Avenue (old U.S. Route
66) in a strip commercial development surrounded by residential suburbs that
all date to the late 1930s and late 1940s. It is a free standing building
on a corner lot, set back approximately fifteen feet from the front sidewalk
and three feet from the office building to its east. The Fire Station is a
two-story rectangle with a three-story hose/stair tower projecting from its
southeast corner, a one-story entrance/office projecting from the southwest
corner and a later, one-story addition attached to the rear. Floors and
roofs are reinforced concrete, walls are hollow clay tile with a stucco
finish. The building's Spanish Pueblo Revival style details include-
exposed lintels, projecting vigas (roof beams), ladders and rounded,
projecting parapets which front flat roofs. ... (Later) The original 1936
dedication plaque was removed and mounted in the engine room of the
University campus fire station, the Monte Vista Station's replacement. ...
The Monte Vista Fire Station, designed by Albuquerque city architect E.H.
Blumenthal [who also designed the airport],
was built with Works Progress Administration Funds in 1936. It meets
National Register Criterion A as a prominent reminder of the role of federal
public works funding during the 1930s in providing the infrastructure and
public services which allowed the development of new suburbs to the east of
the established parts of Albuquerque. ... The Monte Vista Fire Station was
an important improvement in this campaign to prepare for future growth in
the Heights. Like the other projects, the station's construction depended
largely on federal funding of the total construction cost of
approximately $24,000, $14,300 was a grant from the Works Progress
Administration (WPA). Constructed in five months, from June to November,
1936, the Fire Station caused an immediate 43% reduction in residential fire
insurance rates for the surrounding areas. ... As with all WPA projects the
station was built with local labor and local material. The hollow tile
blocks in the original structure were manufactured by Kinney Brick of
Albuquerque and all the original timber was cut by local labor in the Sandia
Mountains and milled in the city. ... Kept in immaculate condition over the
years by the Fire Department, the station went through very few alterations.
In 1972, it was put up for sale when the newer and wider trucks could no
longer negotiate the Monte Vista's old doors."
The building served as Fire Station No.3 for over thirty years. Since 1972
the building has been an art gallery, a lithographic studio, a film
production facility, a church, and since 1986 it houses the Monte Vista Fire
Station Restaurant and Bar.
Vista Fire Station, National Register of Historic Places,
Inventory-Nomination Form, 2 February 1987.