Photo: 8 November 2018.
New Mexico Tech, Official Scenic Historical Marker.
Its Soccoro, New Mexico, campus is home to at least five buildings
built by the New Deal [1,2,3]:
- Gymnasium (FEAPW 1936)
- Fitch Hall (FEAPW 1937)
- Assay Laboratory (FEAPW 1938)
- Presidents Hall (FEAPW 1939)
- Weir Hall (WPA 1939)
Living New Deal also lists:
- Brown Hall (remodeled by PWA in 1938)
- Cramer Hall (remodeled by PWA in 1938)
- Athletic field (developed by WPA)
- Carpentry shop (developed by WPA)
- Socorro CCC Camp buildings built by WPA were moved to campus in 1939
for temporary Bureau of Mines Offices
FEAPW = Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works;
WPA = Works Progress Administration;
(after 1938) Work (or Works) Projects Administration.
Originally the New Mexico School of Mines, its formal name is now New Mexico
Institute of Mining and Technology.
- Name that
Building, a private website at New Mexico Tech, accessed 23 November
- A Brief History
of New Mexico Tech, New Mexico Tech website,
accessed 23 November 2018: "The college's president, Edgar Wells, was
instrumental in obtaining funds from federal programs such as the WPA to
increase the number of buildings on campus. Several of the campus' classic
mission-style buildings with red tiled roofs date from this period."
- Discovered by the authors walking around campus and noting which
buildings had New Deal plaques.
Mexico School of Mines – Socorro NM, accessed 23 November 2018.
Works Administration (PWA) (1933) (also known as the Federal Emergency
Administration of Public Works, or FEAPW), Living New Deal website, accessed 25
Progress Administration (WPA) (1935), Living New Deal website, accessed 25