SUNY Maritime College
, Fort Schuyler, New York
Landmarks Preservation Foundation plaque explaining where the name came from
and acknowledging that it was "restored in 1934 by the Works Progress
Administration to serve as a merchant marine academy". Full transcription:
State University of New York Maritime College, Fort Schuyler
Named for Philip J. Schuyler, a General of the American Revolution, this
structure, built between 1833 and 1856, was designed, along with Fort
Totten, to protect the lower end of Long Island sound. When in use, the
fort was equipped with an armament of 312 guns which could be aimed through
its thick stone walls. It was used as a prison camp during the Civil War,
and was abandoned in 1870 but restored in 1934 by the Works Progress
Administration to serve as a Merchant Marine Academy.
New York Landmarks Preservation Foundation
Tiffany & Co.