Photo: Frank da Cruz, 19 July 2018.
in the Schuylerville section of the East Bronx, occupying
a full city block bounded by La Salle, Edison, Waterbury, and Bradford
). A WPA creation,
Bufano Park opened on August 26, 1939. Originally a park as well as a
playground, it has been remodeled significantly since 1939 but retains some
of its original features, notably the landscaping, handball courts, comfort
station, and the concrete benches. New features include basketball courts
and a roller hockey court complete with scoreboard.
York City Parks Department Press Release, August 26, 1939:
"This playground was planned by the Department of Parks and the
work performed by the Work Projects Administration."
- Bufano Park,
NY City Parks Department website (accessed 20 July 2018); scant information