is separated from Minetta Playground only by Minetta
Lane. "In 1934 Board of Transportation granted the Department of Parks a
permit to develop this parcel for recreational purposes. A playground opened
on the site the following year. After the Board of Estimate assigned this
parcel to Parks in 1953, it was developed as a sitting area. Privet hedges
were added around the existing pin oaks, and benches were installed."
The opening ceremony was held on October 14, 1935, at Macombs Dam playground
and broadcast to the to other 11 playgrounds. One of the speakers was
the new city WPA Administrator, Victor Ridder; Mayor La Guardia thanked
the Roosevelt administration for providing the funds.
Green - History, NYC Department of Parks website.
- New Playgrounds Opened in 12
Areas, New York Times, October 15, 1935, p.25. "Mayor La Guardia
... praised the Federal administration and President Roosevelt for
providing the funds .. playgrounds are at ... Sixth Avenue and Minetta
- Minetta Playground.