William and Mary College Extension, Norfolk, Virginia, completed in
“In 1930 the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg established
the “Norfolk Extension” on a 5-acre tract of land which had been
donated to the college by the city of Norfolk. The structure illustrated on
this page is a combination lecture hall and gymnasium and includes a
swimming pool. Its architectural character conforms to that of the main
college in Williamsburg and has exterior walls of red brick trimmed with
stone and wood. The floors and roof are bar joist and concrete construction
except over the gymnasium where the roof is supported on steel tresses. The
project was completed in July 1936 at a construction cost of $227,826 and a
project cost of $127,022.”
C.W., and R. Stanley Brown, Public Buildings, A Survey of
Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental
Bodies between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public
Works Administration, United States Government Printing Office, Washington
(1939), page 293.
- Public Works Administration
Dockets for Virginia 1934-1939, 3 January 1940: Docket Number 7300.
Photos from C.W. Short, U.S. Federal Works Agency Public Buildings (1939).