Riverside Park and the Henry Hudson Parkway on December 6, 1937, shortly
after its opening on October 12, 1937, looking north from West 72nd Street.
At the bottom left, the pedestrian underpass that provides access to the
Hudson River. On the right, the newly reconstructed Riverside Park, bare
except for some newly planted trees (compare with
same area today). Left of the new highway: the 400-meter running track and concrete bleachers,
then the comfort stations and playground at about 76th Street; then some athletic fields still taking shape; then the 79th Street Boat Basin and Rotunda, still under
construction. Off in the distance: the George Washington Bridge.